You are currently viewing Faulty HVAC system blamed for house fire

“The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office determined Wednesday night’s house fire in Ashburn was accidental, resulting from a mechanical malfunction in the air handler system, a component of the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system located in the attic.

Just after 8 p.m., 911 received multiple calls reporting a house fire in the 43000 block of Millay Court. Fire and rescue units from Broadlands, Ashburn, Kincora, Sterling Park, Dulles South, Brambleton, Leesburg, and Fairfax County, responded along with command and safety officers.

Firefighters arrived on the scene to find a large, single-family home with heavy fire and smoke coming from the second floor and roof area. Two residents were located safely outside, Loudoun fire and rescue said in a news release.”

Read the full story here.

The unfortunate aspect of this whole incident is that an annual check-up of HVAC systems might have prevented the fire. An inspection likely would have detected any problems and also led to components being thoroughly cleaned. It’s a small price and inconvenience to pay for this once-a-year service to ensure peace of mind.

The team at Apple Valley Eagan Appliance offers seasonal maintenance of HVAC systems to residents and businesses in the Twin Cities area. Call us at 952-953-0080 to learn more about this service or visit our cooling page for further details.