0 Comments 27
May

Tankless water heater blamed for carbon monoxide poisoning tragedy

Posted by

“A family died from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning after a tankless water heater began leaking the poisonous gas at high levels, according to authorities.

Police responded to the Reitter family home for a wellness check on May 2, after a concerned family member called 911. After seeing an unresponsive person in the home, police forced entry and found Gabe Reitter III, his wife Jennifer, and their children Gabe IV and Grace, dead inside, along with three dogs.

First responders say the high levels of carbon monoxide in the home forced them leave immediately, until it could be vented. Tests showed CO levels between 999 and 1200 parts per million in the home, according to the fire department. People can start experiencing symptoms of CO poisoning at 70 parts per million.”

Learn more about this story here.

We can’t stress enough the importance of having a carbon monoxide detector in your home. Unlike a fire which produces smoke, carbon monoxide is odorless and tasteless. The only way to determine if your home is building up dangerous levels of CO is with a detector. Investigators are still determining whether the appliance or the installation of the water heater is at fault.

The technicians at Apple Valley Eagan Appliance take great care to ensure proper installation of every appliance. We also keep up to date on the latest safety recalls. If you suspect your appliance or water heater isn’t set up or installed correctly, please contact us at 952-953-0080 for immediate assistance.

Written by

Aliquam scelerisque lobortis neque. Suspendisse lorem metus, consequat vitae lacinia sit amet, condimentum iaculis est. Ut vitae risus urna. Duis vel sapien at leo volutpat tincidunt et vitae urna. Ut ac nulla vel leo euismod aliquet. Nam nec feugiat quam. Suspendisse nec eros enim, non tincidunt erat. Suspendisse vel nisl mi. Suspendisse semper massa non mauris facilisis placerat fringilla nulla dictum.

Comments are closed.